Thursday, April 15, 2010

Fieldwork Assignment

For my first go around of the Disney College Program I was fortunate enough to receive college credit from a school I did not even attend. (I was considered a "guest student".) The school was Central Michigan University & the course credit I received was for Fieldwork from the Department of Recreation, Parks, & Leisure Services Administration. My faculty instructor/mentor was Dean Wallin who was quite helpful in guiding me through the program. What follows is the essay I was assigned to write which gives somewhat of an idea of my experience the first time around & reflects on how I felt about the whole journey. As you will be able to see, I was given a series of questions to answer based on three different topics which gave me the chance to elaborate on my time in the program. I hope that it gives you a good idea of what to expect & causes you to look forward to the College Program, if you choose to participate.

Work Experience
1) Describe your position and work site.
-During my time spent at Disney World, I worked as a housekeeper at the Caribbean Beach Resort. It was located between EPCOT & MGM (now Hollywood) Studios. My position required me to work alongside about 20 other housekeepers on a daily basis for five days a week. For those five days, from 8am to 4:30pm, I cleaned 17 guest rooms with an average of five to six checkouts a day. The hotel I worked at was extremely large so about 45 minutes of my shift was spent just getting from place to place.

2) Describe & evaluate your orientation and training. From your perspective, what additions or deletions should be made?
-My orientation was not terribly extensive but I did feel as though pretty much all of the important information I needed to know was covered. It also took place over several days, at several different locations, so it was never boring. Training-wise, though, I felt I received better informational training from my manager than I did formal training from my actual trainer. I spent two days working with her but I felt there was quite a bit she did not inform me of which I later, more fully discovered when I was retrained after about two months.

3) Describe and evaluate the supervision you received at your work location.
-The supervision I received at my work location seemed adequate enough for me. In fact, I would have to say it was above & beyond adequate because of the exceptional manager I had, along with the other friendly housekeepers I worked with. My manager was always able to assist me with whatever I needed, & because she was so approachable I never hesitated to ask her for help. She also never caused me to feel incompetent but encouraged me on a regular basis. And even on the days she was off the managers who filled in for her were supportive as well. For me, good supervision was key in helping my job go smoothly.

4) What was the most and least enjoyable part of your position? Why?
-I would have to say that the most enjoyable part of my position as a housekeeper at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort was without a doubt the people I worked with & a majority of the people I worked for. They certainly had a positive, lasting impact on my life. Being surrounded by those good people made a difference in my level of motivation, as it generally increased the better I got to know them. I definitely worked with some unforgettable people & am a better person because of it/them. Unfortunately, though, my job was not all good all the time. The least enjoyable part of my position was the pressure I felt to get done on time every day. With a maximum of 17 rooms to clean & an average of five to six of those being checkouts, my energy seemed to run out faster every day, though there were times I felt I was getting used to the cycle of work &, therefore, felt less tired; but that was not the majority of the time. Thankfully, though, this downfall did not hamper my amazing experience.

5) In regard to your own experience, do you feel you went above and beyond what was expected of you? If yes, how? If no, what could you have done?
-Looking back at my Disney College Experience, I felt that I went above & beyond what was expected of me by never calling in sick. Though it was allowed & all of the other students seemed to be doing it, I just did not feel it was something I should take advantage of if I did not need to (& I didn't). (I did leave early because of the flu once, though, but I still never called in.) I also went above & beyond by not complaining as much about my job as many of those around me did, though I was not without my moments. I also tried my best to answer questions from guests whenever I was at Disney, even if they had nothing to do with my specific area of "expertise". I wanted people to see that I was a helpful person whether they knew I was a cast member or not & I think, for the most part, they did.

Learning Experience
6) Evaluate the Disney course(s) you took and compare it with other college courses you have taken. Did the course(s) meet your expectations? Why did you choose the course(s) you did? Who was your instructor and rate their teaching ability on a scale of 1-5 (5 being high).
-During my time on the Disney College Program I took one class, but it was not an academic class; it was part of the Disney Exploration Series which looks at how Disney itself does business. There were a variety of classes to choose from as part of this series & I chose to take the Guest Services class. It was an enjoyable class that covered different guest relation issues such as food service, merchandise, resorts, & ride operations. The class lasted eight weeks & focused on a different topic each week. Given that it was not an officially academic class, it was far more interesting than a regular school class. It was laid back & in an ideal setting (Walt Disney World, to be more specific). The teacher, Jason Klees, was energetic & fun to listen to; on a scale of one to five, with five being the best, he was definitely a five. He really seemed to have a genuine interest in the subject, as well as a genuine interest in us as students. He also gave everyone an equal chance to speak out in class & he listened to us when we did. During the course, & looking back on it, I am glad I took it. It helped me look at guest services in a more in depth way & I enjoyed seeing how Disney approaches it, from an insider's point of view.

7) What kind of cultural experience was this for you? Why? Include an overview of your living experience.
-Culturally, I definitely think that this experience was good for me. I had the opportunity to be surrounded by a variety of cultures while still in my own. I will admit it was not easy at first & it took me awhile to become open to the many differences I was surrounded by. I even learned a few things about my own culture & the great variety of people who are a part of it. My living arrangements helped me to see this as I lived in a three bedroom apartment with five other girls. It was a nice setup that was fully furnished with a cable & Internet hookup that cost just $73 a week. (I thought it was a good price for all that was included.)

8) Discuss the practical "politics" that you encountered while working in the program. What did you learn from this?
-In terms of the practical "politics" I encountered while working in the program, I learned that Disney is very particular about the appearance of their cast members & want them to look presentable at all times. Disney will not allow racial discrimination & works hard to prevent it; this is more obvious in the great variety of nationalities that work there. In working for Disney, it is also clear that they care for their employees & show that through various benefits.

9) Has this experience helped you make or affirm your education/career choice? How so? What is your college major?
-When I began the Disney College Program I was a psychology major who wanted to be a psychologist; now that I have finished a semester of the college program I am still a psychology major who wants to be a psychologist. Though my ultimate career aspiration has not changed, I have decided I would like to work more for Disney & maybe even combine it with psychology somehow in the future. When I started the program I was sure that would be my one & only time working for The Mouse, but I am now even more sure I want to go back because it was a priceless experience for me.

10) How does this experience help you return to college life and the classroom?
-In general, it was quite an adjustment to go back to the way college life & the classroom were before I went to Disney, but it is working out alright. Of course, things have changed, & I am not the same person I was before I worked at Disney World, but that does not mean there is anything wrong with going back to my old college routine. I have discovered new & better ways to interact with others that I believe will help me back at home. I have also learned to be even more independent & to try new things without being so hesitant &/or afraid.

11) How would you justify this opportunity as an educational experience worth college credit? -I really believe this experience was worth college credit because it kept me busy & was a new experience for me. It gave me the opportunity to learn inside & outside of a classroom, & I took the chance to do both. It also helped me explore other career possibilities that are out there, even if I have so far chosen NOT to pursue them.

College Program
12) Would you recommend the Disney College Program to other college students? Why or why not?
-I certainly would recommend the Disney College Program to other college students! Of course, there is no guarantee other students would like it as much as I did because a great deal of it depends on the student's attitude going in. Naturally, that attitude can, & oftentimes will, change but that does not mean a person has no control over their own experience. The college program expectations & overall experiences are clearly laid out so the students participating do not have much of an excuse as to not knowing the agenda. Going back to my recommendation, it was a positively life changing experience for me & I think it can be the same for anyone else who does it as well.

13) Were the expectations you had for the college program met?
-I think the expectations I had for the college program were largely exceeded because I did make friends with amazing people, as I was told beforehand I would. I received valuable work experience from a well-known & respected company. I moved out of my comfort zone to participate in the program & came through overly satisfied with my experience. I think the major factor which determines that my expectations were exceeded is that I want to return to work for Disney, whether through the college program or not.

14) Did you participate in any volunteer opportunities (i.e. "Give Kids the World" or other programs/events)? Was it a valuable experience?
-Unfortunately, I did not participate in any volunteer opportunities while working for Disney & I wish I had. I know it would have added to my already wonderful experience & I plan to make that change the next time I go there.

15) Conclusion: Give a documented overall evaluation of what this experience meant to you. What did you gain from this experience that you lacked before? What would you still like to improve upon?
-Overall, this experience was by far the best thing I have done with my life up to this point. Going into it I was, honestly, terrified; coming out of it I was overjoyed. It was certainly not an easy experience but I learned a great deal from it & I know that is part of why it was such a great experience for me & want to return. I admit, though, that when I do return I want to have a better overall attitude towards my specific job as there were definitely times when I probably did not show guests my enthusiasm for the job. It can be difficult to remember that I am constantly being watched while I am working & I need to be positive at all times, especially when I do not want to. A job is a job no matter where I work & I need to do my best at whatever it is!

~Steph :)








No comments:

Post a Comment