Monday, February 1, 2010

The Real World: College Program

"This is the true story...of 2-8 strangers...picked to live in an apartment...work together & have their lives taped...to find out what happens...when people stop being polite...& start getting real...The Real World: CP."


If you've ever seen "The Real World" you get this; if you've ever seen "The Real World" AND been a pert of the Disney College Program before then you DEFINITELY get this. :) Now, I'm hoping this idea doesn't make anyone pass out because I know how outrageous that show can be, but the fact is that a portion of it is reality, especially when relating it to the Disney College Program. (I confess I have only watched "RW: Cancun" all the way through but I'm willing to bet that if you've seen one season then you've seen them all, so I'm going to use that one to base my examples on.) For instance, assuming they are all strangers, no one has any idea of their new roommates' personalities or histories so they are really looking at them in the best light to begin with. There is tremendous excitement about living with potential new friends & also about their living space. (I know I was excited to live in Chatham!) In a lot of ways it seems like it's going to be one big party, & quite a bit of the time it actually is. During the second round of the program it seemed like there was a constant stream of people in our apartment. Not that this couldn't get tiring (because it did), but it gave me the opportunity to meet & even get to know quite a few people that way. Another aspect similar to "The Real World" is that a significant amount of the time living at Disney World is spent working there since that is the true purpose of the internship, whether for college credit or just for fun. In this real world, if the students don't put their best effort into their jobs, they can be terminated & sent home. (Most people make it through without a problem, so don't worry about that.) Like many "Real World" locations, being in the College Program can seem like living in paradise because the weather is often sunny & warm & there are a multitude of ways to have fun, even if some say it gets boring. Really, I could go into a lot of detail as to why life imitates art & vice-versa, but I'll just leave it where it is. I can say, though, that Disney's "Real World" is better than any "Real World" MTV could ever come up with! :D
~Steph :)

No comments:

Post a Comment